Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Teaser Tuesday - Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just:
* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author, too, so that other Teaser Tuesday participants can add the book to their To Be Read (TBR) Lists if they like your teasers!

----------

I've decided that in 2013, I'm going to spend some of my time rereading a few of my old favorites; books that I love so much that I just have to pull them out and reread them every few years.  They're comfy and familiar, like a pair of soft, warm slippers, and each time I read them they evoke that feeling, that sense of nostalgia, that makes me feel I'm reading them for the first time.

This week I've started one of my favorite fantasy novels.  Many people don't care for it, feeling that it is poorly written, plotted, and that the characters and themes are unoriginal.  I don't understand those people.  At all.  I love this story, I love the characters, and while it might not be perfect, it's pretty darn close in my mind.  For a good number of years, Prince Rohan - in spite of, or maybe because of, his flaws - was the perfect man in my eyes and definitely my first Book Crush.

So let's kick this off with a tease from the very first page of the book, shall we?  I'm not even going to apologize for breaking the two sentence rule.

The Tease:

"Prince Zehava squinted into the sunlight and smiled his satisfaction.  All the signs were good for the hunt today: claw marks on the cliffs, wing marks on the sand, and the close cropping of bittersweet plants along the canyon ridges.  But the prince's perceptions were more subtle and had no need of these obvious signs.  He could feel the presence of his prey all along his skin, scent it in the air, sense it in every nerve.  His admirers said he could tell when the time was ripe for the hunt simply by glancing at the sky.  His enemies said it was not surprising that he could sense such things, for he himself had been dragon-spawned."
 -Dragon Prince, by Melanie Rawn
What's your Tease?

3 comments:

  1. I love how descriptive her writing is! Fab teaser :)

    My TT: http://thefictionenthusiast.blogspot.com/2014/01/teaser-tuesday-january-28th.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly why she is one of my favorite authors!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, sounds awesome!

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2014/01/teaser-tuesdays_28.html

    ReplyDelete